Sick Certificates

If you have been unwell for 7 days or less you should complete a Self Certification form yourself. You can download the Self Certification form using the link below. Please print it, fill it in and hand it in directly to your employer. You do not need to see a Doctor.


If after 7 days of illness you require a medical certificate, please call the surgery on 01293 583320

You do not need to visit the surgery.


Requests for certification of absence from the workplace relating to COVID-19:

1. Symptomatic so isolating for 7 days

Patients can and should self-certify for the first 7 days as normal if they are unfit to work (see the above form). You do NOT need to contact your GP.

2. Symptomatic AND remaining unwell for OVER 7 days

If you remain unwell and unfit to work after 7 days, the current advice is to visit where there is an online self-assessment tool. You do NOT need to contact your GP for a certificate but you can use this template  (COVID-19 Certification of Sickness PDF)

3. Household contact symptoms so isolating for 14 days as per government advice

Doctors can only provide certificates for the purpose of illness, not in relating to government advice regarding self-isolation. Employers are responsible for putting in place arrangements for home/remote working where possible. Where it is not, the employee may self-certify and return to work following the relevant absence which their employer may authorise as per government advice.

4. At risk group so following government advice

Where patients do become unwell during or after this time, point 1 and 2 applies. You do NOT need to contact your GP - you can use the attachment from point 2)

5. Those in full time education who are symptomatic OR requiring self-isolation

There is no NHS requirement to issue certification to schools or colleges to confirm absence. The schools must work with parents and students to ensure absence is appropriately recorded. You do NOT need to contact your GP.


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website